Guest post by Alice Robertson of TidyHome.info
A cluttered space looks smaller and can cause anxiety, making your home less of a soothing oasis and more of a stress-inducing mess. You can help restore order to your house and create a calming environment by decluttering at least once per year—for example, when you complete your spring cleaning. Read on to find out how to get it done.
Create a Plan for Decluttering
A structured approach will ensure efficiency and avoid frustration
- Get the tools you’ll need for decluttering, like a mask, gloves, and plastic bags.
- Plan out a room-by-room strategic approach for decluttering your home.
- Categorize belongings according to what you’ll do with them—keep, donate, trash, or sell. Color-coded post-its can help.
Implement an Organization System for Belongings You Plan to Keep
Keep future clutter in check with these practical organization tips
- Make the most of vertical space to give yourself more storage options.
- Consider transforming a garage or unused garden shed into an additional storage area if you have more items than your home can fit.
- Use budget-friendly tips to make your kids’ rooms more organized.
- Invest in various types of organizers to make the most of your space.
Download the Ultimate Deep Cleaning / Spring Cleaning Checklist. Includes over 100 places in your home you need to clean. Now with a FREE printable calendar to help you schedule your cleaning tasks.
Get Help When Needed
Decluttering can be a big job. These professionals can help.
- Search for furniture movers near me via Angi to find people who are able to lift large and heavy items for you.
- Hire a professional cleaning service to spruce your space once the clutter is gone. Confessions of a Cleaning Lady provides a free cost calculator to estimate expenses.
- Find a storage unit in your area to keep things that no longer fit in your home but that you aren’t ready to get rid of.
- As you remove clutter, you may notice elements of your home that could use fixing. Find a local handyman to get the job done.
Decluttering is a big job, but you don’t have to do it alone. Hire professionals like the ones described above and follow these tips to make it easier. You’ll then have a clutter-free home that’s ready for relaxation.